Attractions are the first things that come up when I talk Disney with other teens. My peers who haven’t been to a Disney theme park think that the parks were created for small children and that there aren’t any “teen attractions”. They believe that the parks only offer dark rides such as Snow White’s Scary Adventures and Pinocchio’s Daring Journey. I wrote this post for them, and teens going to Disney soon who are worried they’re going to be bored. In my next few posts I’m going to share my list of top attractions for teens for each park in the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts. I decided to start at the place where it all began: Disneyland.
Here are my top attraction picks (in no particular order) for teens who aren’t fans of the dark rides:
1. Space Mountain - We’ve all had the dream of exploring outer space before. This thrilling coaster allows riders to zoom (and scream) with the stars.
2. Captain EO Tribute – People have all sorts of different opinions on this attraction, but I love it. It’s cheesy, but it’s super fun. Michael Jackson + Aliens + “Ee –hee!” = Awesome
3. Mad Tea Party – We’re all mad here! It’s fun to spin or just enjoy the ride in these tea-lightful cups. I definitely recommend riding these at night. It’s absolutely beautiful.
4. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – Be sure to hang on to your hats and glasses, ‘cause this here’s the wildest ride in the wilderness!
5. Matterhorn Bobsleds – Straight from the Disney classic Third Man on the Mountain, this roller coaster gives riders the chance to explore the Matterhorn. Beware of the abominable snowman.
6. The Jungle Cruise – Who can pass up hearing irresistible jokes by irresistible (well, nearly irresistible) skippers? Be careful, Ginger snaps!
7. Splash Mountain – A water ride like no other. My laughing place. I recommend sitting in the front. No ponchos allowed!
8. Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye – Awesome hybrid of a roller coaster and a dark ride. If you’re searching for eternal youth, wealth, or wisdom you’ve come to the right place. “And if you drank too much at the fountain of youth we’ll be happy to assist with strollers.”
9. Pirates of the Caribbean – It’s a dark ride, but who can refuse pirates? I’ve never heard a teen refuse this one.
10. The Haunted Mansion – Classic. A delightfully chilling tour of a Southern abode.
11. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln – Educational, but not by any means boring. It offers audiences the chance to listen to an incredibly realistic audio-animatronic President Lincoln.
There is a smorgasbord of attractions to choose from at Disneyland. Don’t limit yourself. Disney offers the perfect chance to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Next week I’ll be tackling the top attractions at Disney’s California Adventure. Until then, por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas!
Contributed by: Hannah N. (NDT#23) Hannah is the DDL Teens’ Viewpoint Blogger.