Last week going to my happy place took on a whole new meaning. Last week was the week almost every student dreads- finals. It affects everyone differently. Some people can’t sleep, some can’t eat, and some just become Grumpy for a week. This week I become the eighth dwarf- Crazy. I don’t sleep well, have bizarre dreams, feel sick, and become a little paranoid. However last week I found a bunch of new ways to cope with finals week, and all of them involved Disney!
1. The first way I stumbled on completely by accident. After staring at my notes for a good twenty minutes I shut my notebook and shoved it away from me. Then I looked at it and saw something I hadn’t looked at for while- three tiny circles I had drawn months previously, arranged in the shape of everyone’s favorite mouse. A hidden Mickey! Then I imagined Mickey saying, “It’s ok, pal! You can do it!” That gave me huge boost and I went back to studying.
2. I always have to listen to music when I study, so I turned on some Disney tunes along with my other music! I listened to the Tangled soundtrack, The Sherman Brothers Songbook, and a lot of music from the parks. There are few things that calm me down more than listening to music from Critter Country in Disneyland, – which is my favorite place to relax on a vacation.
3. Disney vacation pictures are worth a thousand dole whips. When I couldn’t force myself to look at another apothem, I clicked through pictures of our last Disney vacation to WDW. I felt myself reliving all those wonderful times of sharing Walt Disney World with my grandparents, eating tasty food, and meeting friends from Twitter. I felt myself sitting up higher in my chair, smiling, and quietly chuckling to myself. It made me so happy and more pleasant to be around, I’m sure.
4. I wore my lucky Mickey watch to school! I just know that it helped me do better.
5. At random times during the week, I just closed my eyes and imagined myself in Critter Country in Disneyland, sitting on a bench in the shade, people watching and eating a churro. After doing that for a few minutes I found that I was able to concentrate much more easily.
As you can probably tell, I survived finals week. However it would have been a whole lot harder if I couldn’t escape to my Disney happy place. These techniques really helped me, and I hope that they will help you too!
Contributed by: Hannah N. (NDT#23) Hannah is the DDL Teens’ Viewpoint Blogger.