As I’ve grown into a teen a lot about me has changed, and yet a lot has remained the same. One thing that has never wavered is my undying love for candy. June is actually National Candy Month! My favorite place to get and eat candy is a Disney theme park or Downtown Disney (on either coast). For me, the Candy Palace on Main Street in Disneyland holds a lot of memories, and so does Marceline’s Confectionary in Downtown Disney in Anaheim. However, I do love to remember some wonderful times we had in Magic Kingdom with candy. For this post I wanted to share my five favorite candies from Disney–and they haven’t changed as I’ve gotten older.
1. Cotton Candy (or Candy Floss as friends from across the pond call it)– This treat has always been a favorite of mine. On our last trip to Walt Disney World, we had the most delicious cotton candy I had ever eaten. We purchased a fresh bag, one that had been made that day. It was light, fluffy, and a beautiful shade of pink.
2. Divinity– This lovely concoction that includes sugar, corn syrup, eggs, walnuts, and vanilla has definitely grown on me. It’s my mom’s favorite candy and whenever I see it I think of her. When I was younger I liked it, but now I love it! When we get it (from the Candy Palace at Disneyland), we always ask for a knife and fork so that we can enjoy it as soon as possible!
3. Goofy Sour Balls– These things are so addictive! They come in flavors of cherry, lemon, orange, grape, and apple. I like to get a bag with just cherry sour balls. If we get a mixed bag I’m tempted to pick out the cherry ones and ignore the rest, except for maybe a few lemon ones.
4. Salt Water Taffy– For me, Disney has the most delicious taffy in the whole world. Once I open a bag it’s very hard to stop unwrapping the pieces of chewy goodness. Taffy is one of the first candies that I ever ate and I can’t leave Disney until I’ve eaten some. This is probably my favorite candy at Disney.
5. Fudge– Fudge: what a beautiful creation. It can be so many different things and yet basically the same thing! While my favorite fudge is the traditional chocolate and walnuts, I really like the seasonal pumpkin fudge and fudge with peanut butter.
I recently discovered I have a wheat and gluten allergy. It may stop me from eating a churro every day of our vacation, but it won’t stop me from eating my favorite candies! I love candy all the time, but it seems most magical when it’s from Disney. When we come back from vacation we always bring some candy. A spoonful (or five) of Disney sugar helps the post-Disney blues go down. I hope you have a super sweet and delicious National Candy Month!
Contributed by: Hannah N. (NDT#23) Hannah is the DDL Teens’ Viewpoint Blogger.