Disney Movie Nights – they are just traditional. They usually involve pj’s, favorite snacks, blankets & stuffed friends. But, in changing times, there is a new concept of movie night…themed movie nights. I love this concept for so many reasons. It is more than just watching a movie. You can include themed activities, food, & decorations. Our whole family becomes involved. From planning, to decorating, to clean-up, it is a true example of teamwork & a great bonding experience
On Friday, June 20, Disney Junior will debut “Lucky Duck,” the first Disney Junior Original Movie, about a group of misfit tub toys in search of the kids who will love them just the way they are. You know how we are about those things. If your house is anything like mine, preparations are under way to celebrate this occasion! Disney Junior has amazing programming for toddlers/preschoolers/early elementary age children & their families. We are so excited about this movie premiere & hope this is the first of many!
I took a few minutes to brain storm with our Movie Night Specialist, Donna Kay, and together we came up with some ideas to help you & your Disney Junior fan really enjoy Friday night’s movie!
Lucky Duck is about a group of tub toys that are lost at sea, looking for their “kid”. Let’s use a tub time theme!
- Simple tub toys are great table decorations. Rubber ducks, frogs, mermaids..whatever you have! Boats are great too.
- Wear your bathrobes & slippers.
- White balloons are perfect to recreate “bath bubbles”!
- Use hand towels as place mats & wash cloths for napkins.
- Give your best duck impressions! Can you waddle, quack & flap your wings?
- Design-A-Duck – purchase a rubber duck for everyone & provide sharpies to decorate your very own duck!
- Nice night? Blow bubbles outside before the movie. Have a bubble blowing contest and see who can blow the largest bubble!
- Visit the official Lucky Duck site for games, color sheets & the movie trailer.
- Serve “Lucky Dunkers” (chicken nuggets or fish sticks) with your child’s favorite dipping sauce to “dunk” them.
- Kale chips or blue tortilla chips are a great side.
- Blue kool-aid or punch (for the sea)
Squirt Turtle Happy Cakes – these adorable cupcakes from Family.com will fit right in for this movie!
Have a great time Friday night (7:00 p.m., ET/PT). If you should miss it Friday night, no worries! There will be an encore presentation on Saturday morning (9:00 a.m., ET/PT). Let us know if you watched it & what you thought!