People often ask me for tips on how to save for Disney. At our house, we’ve made it a priority by making it a family affair.
Here’s our best advice:
- Choose a container to keep your savings in.
- Decorate your container/jar together.
- Leave the jar in a high-traffic area in your house so you can watch it grow (seeing it daily will also remind you to make your deposits).
- If you’re not a “cash” family, request cash back from your card when you are checking out at the store – put it in the jar.
- Have the kids sell toys they don’t want anymore, put the money in the jar.
- Make a big deal when you make a deposit – so everyone knows, gets excited, and remembers to make their own deposits.
- Cut back on other expenditures to make room for Disney money. Sometimes, we want to go out to eat, but decide to put the money in the jar instead, or, rather than buying yet another Lego set, the kids put their money in the jar.
- Ask for Disney gift cards in lieu of birthday money or toys.
- Put the kids to work at a lemonade stand and put their profits in the jar.
There are countless ways to find a little extra money in your budget to save for Disney trips – you just have to put a little thought and effort into it, get creative, and prioritize. You’ll be amazed at how quickly the money will pile up!