During the holiday season, Disney does it up with decorations and treats galore. For those of you who are not traveling to the World this holiday season, there is a way to bring home those tasty gingerbread treats that everyone is talking about. This is the authentic recipe that the Grand Floridian uses to make their signature gingerbread cookies. Although it is extensive, you may curb the spice levels to your liking. I baked these lovely cookies over the weekend and the smell filled my kitchen better than any candle could. If you close your eyes you’d swear you were in the lobby of the Grand Floridian. Use any cookie cutter to press out whatever holiday shapes you want. We kept with the Disney theme with ours. You can decorate with homemade icing or the tubes that they sell at your local market. Enjoy!
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort
2 sticks softened butter
2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground star anise
1 teaspoon ground fennel
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
Ingredients for decorations optional
1/4 cup milk
1 cup colored sugar granules
1. Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth using an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix until combined.
2. Sift all the remaining dry ingredients in a separate large mixing bowl and mix well. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until a dough forms
3. Remove dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap; place in refrigerator until firm, two to four hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
5. Remove dough from refrigerator and allow dough to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes, until pliable. Divide dough in half and place on floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until about 1/8 inch thick. While rolling, flour the work surface and rolling pin as needed.
6. Cut out desired cookie shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to a greased cookie sheet, placing them 1 inch apart.
7. Lightly brush cookies with milk and sprinkle with sugar granules as desired.
8. Bake until firm and edges begin to darken, 10-14 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for a minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.