We take you now to Kermit the Frog with another fast-breaking news story!
Some of my favorite childhood memories involved television. Let’s face it. It was the 70’s, and groundbreaking shows like Sesame Street & Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood dominated the kid world. My favorite part of Sesame Street was always the “News Flash”. I loved copying “Hi-Ho, Kermit the Frog here…”. Soon enough, Kermit was a super-star and received his own show…”The Muppet Show”, and prime-time was never the same again. Multiple seasons, movies, merchandise – everyone owned something Muppet related. Quickly, the Muppets became a traditional part of your life. Growing up in the 70’s & 80’s couldn’t have been better. We had The Wonderful World of Disney, various holiday Peanuts specials & the Muppets to look forward to before bedtime. Life was grand. Could it get better?
Yes. Yes it could.
Now, before you say,”I thought this happened in February”, according to Disney History (The Walt Disney Company), on May 15, 2004, “Disney acquired the Muppets properties and Bear in the Big Blue House.” While Disney had already had a great working relationship with Jim Henson (Muppetvision 3D had been in at Disney’s MGM since 1991), this gave Disney the rights to the Muppets, & Bear in the Big Blue House. Two childhood favorites, together.
Being the 10th anniversary of the Muppets joining with Disney, I asked our DDL Contributors to share what the Muppets joining with Disney means to them…..
- “The Muppets felt like Mickey’s long lost friends coming home when they joined 10 yrs ago” – Jill, NDM 117 , DDL Fashion Accessory Contributor
- ” I grew up watching The Muppet Show, the Muppet Movies and even Muppet Babies. I also adored Sesame Street. I love the imagination, humor, whimsy and creativity. The connection between these two great brands and companies devoted to storytelling is simply so natural. I hope the partnership will find new ways to come to life in the parks and beyond.” – Jessica, NDM 516 , DDL Disney with Toddlers Contributor
- “The Muppet Show was one of the family TV show of my young years (it was translated for the French TV a while). Having enjoyed the attraction at DHS, in fact it was just natural to see them being officially part of Disney.” – Olivier, NDD 263, DDL Home Movies Contributor
- “The resurgence of The Muppets has created a common link between parents and children. Frequently, we are all singing along to soundtracks in the car or at home watching old episodes.” – Richard, NDD 282 , DDL D-Tech Contributor
- “I was so happy when The Muppets joined the Disney Family. The Muppets have always held a special place in my heart. Of course, I grew up watching The Muppet Show, but that’s not the only reason. I lost my father when I was 15 years old and I will always remember that The Muppet Movie from 1979 was the first movie we went to see, just him and I, as father and son. So seeing The Muppets always makes me think of him.” – Marc, NDU 6 , DDL Disney in NYC Contributor
Share with us your feelings! What does the Muppets being a part of the Disney family mean to you?