Disney Movie Nights – they are just traditional. They usually involve pj’s, favorite snacks, blankets & stuffed friends. But, in changing times, there is a new concept of movie night…themed movie nights. I love this concept for so many reasons. It is more than just watching a movie. You can include themed activities, food, & decorations. Our whole family becomes involved. From planning, to decorating, to clean-up, it is a true example of teamwork & a great bonding experience.
Oz the Great and Powerful is the prequel to The Wizard of Oz and really gives you some insight into the Wizard himself, as well as the Wicked Witch of the West. I love the colorful backdrop and magical setting of the Emerald City. There’s something in this movie for all ages to enjoy.
- Paper Lantern Hot Air Balloons – These hot air balloons from The Joyeful Journey are adorable (and a fun activity) that are sure to add a splash of color to the décor.
- Cover the table with a green table cloth to represent the Emerald City and use a small bouquet of Poppies for your centerpiece. Use yellow cups, plates and napkins to represent the Yellow Brick Road and red placemats to represent Dorothy the future savior of Oz.
- Decorate the room with hats – A witch’s hat to represent the Wicked Witch, a big sun had for Theodora, a top hat for Oz, a beautiful crown for Glinda and a feather headpiece for Evanora. You can let everyone choose their favorite for a fun family photo op.
- Blow giant bubbles – Glenda and Oz float over the Emerald City in giant bubbles. Have a contest to see who can blow the biggest one and give a prize of gold chocolate coins.
- Make your own Magic Wand – Wands played a big role in the movie so why not make one of your own using wooden dowels and ribbon. Here is a great tutorial from Hellobee.
- Magic tricks – Oz wasn’t a true wizard but he was really good at slight of hand. Search you tube for Magic Tricks for Kids and you will get lots of great videos so your kids can learn a trick of their own.
I think carnival foods are in order to represent Oz’s life as a performer.
- Serve Hot Dogs, Nachos, Corn on the Cob – they are fun carnival foods and kids love them.
- For dessert – these adorable Oz inspired cupcakes (made with blue icing, marshmallows and Airhead Xtreme candy) from Slap Dash Mom.
- Popcorn, peanuts and cotton candy are the perfect movie snack food.
Have a great time with this movie & let us know what you did to make your Adventure special! Have a movie suggestion for us? Leave a comment Be sure to post any photos on our DDL FB Group !