As part of our “A Month of Thanks” celebration, we asked our readers and contributors to share their stories about why they are thankful for Disney. Here is just one of those submitted. If you would like to share why you are thankful for Disney, please see this article or contact Maria (NDM 130)
Disney has been a central part of my life for as long as I can remember. Ask me about any point in my life so far and I will most likely be able to tell you the role that Disney played in it at that particular point in time. Over the years, I have accumulated a plethora of reasons as to why I’m thankful for Disney’s place in my life, and seeing as it is almost Thanksgiving, I thought I would share some of them with you.
- I am thankful for Disney because it has given me so many magical memories to look back on and smile about for years to come. From something as spectacular as seeing Cinderella’s Castle for the very first time, to something as simple as having Disney movie marathons with my sisters, most of my favorite memories have to do with Disney and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
- I am thankful for Disney because it has shaped me as a person. Disney films are what taught me the difference between right and wrong, good and evil. Mulan taught me what it is to stand up for what’s right in the face of adversity. Stitch taught me that good can be found in anyone. Pocahontas taught me to always consider someone else’s point of view. Belle taught me that the beauty of one’s heart doesn’t always match what’s on the outside. These lessons and so many more have been crucial to my development as a young adult and I cherish them so dearly.
- I am thankful for Disney because it defines my childhood. I was extremely fortunate as a child because I only lived about 3 hours from Walt Disney World from the time I was 8 to the time I was 16. That meant that a lot of long weekends were spent with the mouse. Not only that, but Disney movies and Disney Channel were almost constantly playing in my home. I was fortunate enough to grow up with parents who not only fueled my Disney addiction, but shared it as well.
- I am thankful for Disney for bringing together this community of amazing and like-minded individuals. Knowing that there is a massive community of people who’s lives have been touched by Disney in the same way that mine has is something that is of great comfort to me. Anytime I find someone who shares this same passion, I know that I have found someone worth having in my life. That instant bond that two Disneyphiles experience is something that is truly magical.
- And last, but certainly not least, I am thankful for Disney because it is something that can always bring my family together. My family has started the tradition of taking an annual trip to Walt Disney World at the end of May and it is the one time of the year that we can all count on being together. As my sisters and I grow up, leave our parents, and begin forging our own paths, times where the 5 of us are all together grow increasingly small. However, thanks to Disney, we know that we will have that time together, even if it’s only for a week every year.
People often ask me why Disney is so important to me and it is always nice to sit back and reflect on exactly why it is. I know my life would be so vastly different if Disney were not a part of it and if there was ever a world without Disney, I don’t think I’d want to be a part of it. While I know there are reasons that I certainly left out, those are the biggest reasons why I’m thankful for Disney and I know that as I get older, this list will only continue to grow.