Disney Movie Nights – they are just traditional. They usually involve pj’s, favorite snacks, blankets & stuffed friends. But, in changing times, there is a new concept of movie night…themed movie nights. I love this concept for so many reasons. It is more than just watching a movie. You can include themed activities, food, & decorations. Our whole family becomes involved. From planning, to decorating, to clean-up, it is a true example of teamwork & a great bonding experience.
Pinocchio is turning 75 – and it’s just as great in 2015 as it was in 1940. I can’t think of a better way to show our appreciation for Pinocchio and Disney than to watch it together as a family, which I believe is the way Walt would have wanted it.
- Red, yellow and blue are the colors for today. Maybe a red table cloth with yellow plates and blue cups. Look for feathers in the craft section of your local department store and arrange them in a bowl or small vase representing the feather in Pinocchio’s hat.
- Balloons – Have red, yellow and blue balloons around the room, this will add to the carnival feel of Pleasure Island too.
- Puppet Theater – You can make a small finger puppet theater and us it as décor and a fun family activity by reenacting your favorite scenes from the movie. • As always bring out those toys, plush and books from the Pinocchio story. Even have your little ones dress as characters like the Blue Fairy or wear suspenders just like Pinocchio does.
- Wishing Star – Have everyone make their own Wishing Star. Find a star shape you like online and print it on cardstock. Repeat this until you have one for each member of the family. If you have really young ones you may choose to cut it out for them, otherwise let the kids cut out the star and decorate it however they choose, I suggest paint, glitter, rhinestones, markers, ect. When they are through decorating them punch a small hole in the top and hand the star in their room using fishing line. Now they have their very own Wishing Star, I think Jiminy and the Blue Fairy would be proud.
- Pinocchio Charades – There are so many wonderful characters from this movie! Play a fun game of charades using the character names. For the young ones you can use pictures rather than words on the charades cards.
- Pleasure Island – Make your own version of Pleasure Island with simple carnival games, set up cups that can be knocked over with a ball, pick up ducks, shell games, ect.
- Stromboli – This is a great time to make this Italian favorite. There are lots of great Stromboli ideas on Pinterest!
- Gold Fish Crackers – This is a fun snack and it also represents Cleo!
- Caprese Skewers – Fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and basil leaves (you can substitute spinach leaves or lettuce for the little ones) placed on a skewer. It’s a fun way to get kids to eat their veggies.
- Cotton Candy – A fun treat all kids love and it certainly reminds you of Pleasure Island!
Have a great time with this movie & let us know what you did to make your Adventure special! Have a movie suggestion for us? Leave a comment Be sure to post any photos on our DDL FB Group & link up below if you have a blog post about this.