When it comes to supporting their community, Disney Cast Members in Central Florida are known for their big hearts. As part of this year’s Heart of Florida United Way (HFUW) campaign, Disney contributed $3.5 million in Cast Member pledges and company donations.
“Year after year, we know we can count on Disney for its community partnership and Cast Members’ generosity,” said Jeff Hayward, HFUW president and CEO. “Disney plays a starring role in our annual campaign and our community effort to build a stronger Central Florida.”
With an emphasis on prevention, HFUW supports 49 programs with 39 partner agencies that provide services focusing on education, income, health and basic needs. Through its corporate donation and with Cast Members’ pledges of support, Disney is able to make a positive impact for those who need it most in Central Florida.
Research shows that for every dollar spent on prevention, at least $7 is saved on intervention by government and community groups. Using this formula, Disney’s investment of $3.5 million in United Way has a $24.5 million value for Central Florida. Itemizing Disney’s $3.5 million contribution according to HFUW’s six areas of focus, here’s an example of the impact it can have on our community:
- Education: Disney’s contribution provides 29,166 local young people with year-round mentoring and coaching for their future in college or a career.
- Income: Financial literacy classes will be available to 58,333 individuals who are working toward self-sufficiency.
- Health: Disney’s contribution enables access to prenatal and postpartum care for 83,333 local mothers and their babies.
- Crisis: With Disney’s support, 83,333 callers will have access to information and connection to support programs to alleviate their crisis.
- Veterans: More than 58,330veterans will receive job skills training and job placement assistance through Disney’s donations.
- Homelessness: From individuals to families with children to seniors, 291,666 people living with hunger and homelessness will be able to count on a noontime meal.
HFUW is the largest supporter of Central Florida health and human service agencies, which serve residents of Orange, Osceola and Seminole counties. Each year, more than 656,000 children and families are positively impacted by HFUW programs.