Hello, our beautiful Disney Bakers!
How amazing is Disney Food? It could be food from the Disney Parks or just Disney shaped. It tastes better for some reason. Somehow pixie dust works it’s way into the mixture and fills your heart with extra happiness. Or is that your stomach?
Around here on Disney Driven Life we figured if we love creating Disney recipes at home than you would too. I love it so much that I created all entire blog www.ohsweetdisney.com to give me the excuse to bake up a storm. Or is it so I can eat more cookies? Cookies are amazing, right?
Who doesn’t love butter, sprinkles, and Disney? Since the answer is no one, we thought it would be fun to create a series of Disney recipes. Some days we will be making recipes from the Disney Parks, Disney Cruise Line and sometimes they will be Disney inspired. Pancakes are awesome. Pancakes shaped like Minnie are superb.
Some of the recipes will be fantastic and some not so much. We will try them all so you can either run out and buy the ingredients or know to avoid it. Just because the recipe is on the Disney Parks Blog doesn’t necessarily make it’s amazing. Trust me I’ve tried a bunch of them.
Today we will be creating the Will O’ The Wisp cookies from the Disney Family Website. They were… they were… well let’s get to it and I’ll explain as we go. You’ll remember these guys from the movie Brave. They would show Merida the way to things she needed to see.
I’m going to admit I always love food that Instagrams well. I know that’s ridiculous but I can’t help myself. I may be a 30 something-year-old woman, but I still get super excited when something looks cute. I get really excited when it gets a lot of likes. It’s silly I know. Don’t judge me. I’m honestly judging myself enough. I’m not going to stop doing it but you should know I recognize I’m acting like a 14-year-old teenager. #foodgoals
Why did I start this recipe post with describing my love of Instagram photos? Well, it’s because that’s the best compliment I can give these cookies. They look adorable. My husband said they looked like Smurf poop. I kind of see it, but they are the cutest Smurf poop ever. Anyways let’s move on.
Oh! another great thing is it does look exactly like the picture on the Disney Family Website. It’s blue and full of volume.
You might have noticed I haven’t said anything about the taste yet. Usually, a recipe post would start out by telling you how amazing the result was. Well, they sort of tasted like toothpaste. Yup, you read that right; toothpaste. Maybe that’s a little over the top but that was the first things that came to our minds.
How about we start and we’ll talk more in a minute.
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp peppermint flavoring
- 15 drops blue food coloring (You can also use gel food coloring)
- Preheat your oven to 200F. I didn’t even know you could bake something that low to be honest? Do the cookies just feel a little whiff of heat and bake?
- Cover a standard baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar. You can also use a stand mixer with a whisk attachment. It’s way easier than doing it with a hand mixer. Or maybe I’m just a little lazy.
- When the mixture becomes frothy start adding the sugar one tablespoon at a time.
- To the egg mixture, add the peppermint flavoring and food coloring. Beat it well together.
- In a piping bag with a large tip; add the mixture. You can also use a large Ziplock bag with a corner cut off. Piping bags are just easier to use.
- Pipe 2 to 3-inch tall swirls on the baking sheet. Leave an inch between each meringue.
- Bake for 1 hour. Let cool on a wire rack. Cool completely before serving them.
Now that we have talked about how to make them, I think mine tasted like toothpaste because I added too much peppermint. If you make them, please leave us a message in the comments on how they tasted. Also, tag us if you Instagram them. They are cute 🙂
Happy Baking Friends!