NEW DIGIBOOM® AIMS TO ENERGIZE LOCATION SHOTS, BREAKING NEWS AND SPORTS FOOTAGE
New Hybrid Camera Rig From Redrock Micro and Disney|ABC Television/Disney Research Merges Best of Gimbal, Jib, Drone and Handheld to Achieve Cinematic Moves and Impossible Camera Angles
Redrock Micro in collaboration with Disney|ABC Television and Disney Research announced DigiBoom – a new gimbal-stabilized camera rig that merges the best of jib, gimbal, Steadicam®, drone and handheld into a single highly mobile platform. DigiBoom is on display at the Redrock Micro and Blackmagic booths at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) conference in Las Vegas.
DigiBoom Pushes Content Above the Competition
DigiBoom is used by solo operators and small production teams to add eye-popping shots and premium cinema-style feel to live and pre-recorded news, sports and events. DigiBoom can place the camera from ground level to over 8’ (up to 12’ with the optional extension) and everywhere in between while the full-time powered gimbal keeps shots smooth and steady. Use DigiBoom to create sweeping camera moves or place cameras into unusual points of view for maximum visual impact, including:
- Reaches any target, moves quickly and gets angles that were previously unimaginable
- Extend the pole to get shots of the tallest on the court, a crowded field and even places where tripods or handhelds aren’t practical. Use the optional 3-foot extension for even higher and truly epic views
- Get in front of, above, below or around any obstacles with total control of camera angle and position
- Create dynamic and premium cinema-style shots with smooth gimbal stabilization
Designed for Fast-Moving Productions and Small Crews
DigiBoom doesn’t require additional crew or specialized skills and can be learned in a few hours of practice. Familiar camera controls and functions are similar to traditional ENG cameras, and gimbal controls are intuitive and responsive.
Solo camera operators are more productive and creative: capturing the required shots, but now with more options for unique dynamic footage. The highly mobile rig means shots and angles can be easily improvised for breaking news or on-the-spot creative choices.
DigiBoom is the only camera rig that delivers this wide range of creative shots while enabling full-time operator control over camera position and settings:
- Versatility that enables solo camera operators to be more productive and creative. The highly mobile rig means shots and angles can be easily improvised for breaking news or on-the-spot creative choices.
- Complete control of operation and settings for both camera and gimbal
- Dual gimbal modes for fully automated, fully manual or hybrid control of camera aim and angle
- Professional audio including standard connectors and shielded wiring that is fully integrated into the DigiBoom for onboard camera audio, onboard mixer or external sound mixer
- Professional power with one power source for camera, DigiBoom and accessories. Use the external power input for unlimited run-time.
- Full-time monitoring via the bright high-resolution display mounted right where the operator needs it
- Modular for many different setups including jib, drone-like, Steadicam and handheld all with one rig
- Broadcast workflow and quality whether live or pre-recorded, DigiBoom provides industry-standard video, audio and wireless with connectors and accessories.
- Minimal training enables broadcast quality and delivery of totally unique content from day one.
Redrock‘s Cinema and Video Product Expertise Brings DigiBoom to Life
Redrock Micro has long been recognized as the premier innovator for independent production equipment. Over the past decade, Redrock’s original designs and products have made high production value affordable and accessible for any budget level. DigiBoom joins Redrock’s existing family of over 400 rigs, automation and camera accessories including the Eclipse™ the latest generation of networked camera-top accessories.
“Redrock has empowered small crews and solo operators to punch above their weight class for over a decade,” said James Hurd, president of Redrock Microsystems. “DigiBoom represents this kind of leap forward for location news, sports and events. When we first saw DigiBoom, we recognized this spark of an idea. With Redrock’s product expertise and injection of Eclipse™ technology, we are now delivering a finished product that is ready for the demands of full-time professional production.”
Powered by Technology from Disney|ABC
Core DigiBoom technology and associated patents were developed by Disney|ABC Television and Disney Research, and licensed to Redrock Micro to bring DigiBoom to market. DigiBoom has been field tested and refined over the past two years with Disney|ABC, ABC News, Marvel and continues to be widely used at ESPN for live and recorded sports coverage.
“Over the past two years we have seen DigiBoom deliver tremendous value to Disney|ABC, ESPN and other subsidiaries within the Disney family,” said Anthony Accardo, director, Research & Development, Disney|ABC Television. “Through our collaboration with Redrock, we are really pleased to see DigiBoom come to market and help elevate the state of the art for the industry.”
“DigiBoom gives us a distinctive look – delivering high-quality, cinematic images in a portable and versatile package,” said Brian Kennedy, vice president, Global News Gathering Operations & Planning. “At the 2017 Presidential Inauguration in Washington, D.C., DigiBoom provided incredible images and was the perfect tool allowing us to be live inside the story. No other tool could have delivered this type of coverage.”
“The Rose Bowl is one of the most beloved and most watched football contests in the nation today,” said Lorenzo Lamadrid, ESPN coordinating director, College GameDay. “The use of DigiBoom for our coverage of the 2018 Rose Bowl really enhanced the quality of the footage and brought our viewers right into the middle of this spectacular venue. DigiBoom worked beautifully to create shots we couldn’t otherwise achieve.”
“DigiBoom allowed our camera operator to access high-traffic spaces and deliver angles that wouldn’t have been possible with a traditional camera,” said John Vassallo, senior coordinating producer for ESPN.
Blackmagic Design Cameras Unlock DigiBoom’s Potential
DigiBoom can be used with any appropriate camera and display. To get the most from DigiBoom, the preferred recorder and camera are the Blackmagic Video Assist and Micro Studio Camera 4K, the world’s smallest broadcast quality live production camera.
The unique connectivity of the Micro Studio 4k Camera’s expansion port gives operators fingertip control over all camera functions directly from the DigiBoom handgrips. The Video Assist offers full-time operator monitoring, recording to internal SD cards and offering SDI pass-through for live broadcast.
“Blackmagic Design’s mission is to empower creative people. When we saw what Redrock and Disney were creating with DigiBoom, we wanted to make sure they could get the most from Blackmagic cameras,” said Grant Petty, CEO and founder of Blackmagic Design. “We worked together to expand the Micro Studio Camera 4K and designed it to be versatile. It is incredibly exciting to think about how much more creative camera operators will be with DigiBoom, and with the combined solution, DigiBoom essentially becomes a single integrated experience for the operator.”
Pricing and Availability
DigiBoom target availability is summer 2018 and pricing has not yet been announced. In addition to the standalone product, DigiBoom will also be available as a deluxe field broadcast kit and includes the most popular DigiBoom accessories. DigiBoom will be available from Redrock direct and Redrock’s worldwide authorized resellers.
DigiBoom Accessories and Extensions
- DigiBoom jib adapter – mounts DigiBoom to your existing fluid head tripod for conversion to a more traditional jib
- DigiBoom extension pole 3’ – extends DigiBoom for even higher shots while still retaining full operator control of gimbal and camera
- DigiBoom body strap – supports the fulcrum of DigiBoom for additional support and easy operation
- DigiBoom stand
- DigiBoom hard case with fitted foam, ready for road and air travel