Recently, I was invited to a special screening of Mary Poppins Returns. I’d like to say that I was excited to attend, but in all honesty, I was nervous! I am not a huge fan of remakes/sequels/etc; nothing is ever as good as the original, right? I am pretty sure you would agree that no one will ever replace Julie Andrews’ Mary Poppins character. My expectations for this movie were not very high and I did not want to like it, yet I quietly prayed that this film would make me cry.
Let’s just say that crying would be an understatement and I fought a losing battle to not like this movie.
But, there are a few key points you should know about this movie. I know life is hectic right now for everyone, and spare time is minimal, so I will keep this short and sweet. I have put together my “Top-Ten Things to Know About Mary Poppins Returns” with no spoilers at all. Promise 🙂
- Mary Poppins Returns is NOT a remake, nor does it sequentially follow the the series of books by P.L. Travers. The movie is loosely based on the stories Travers wrote and goes beyond them, as the Banks children are now adults.
- While Emily Blunt will never be my Mary Poppins, she certainly fits the bill for a new generation, albeit a slightly rougher, tougher Poppins. Mary Poppins herself is a firm, yet loving nanny. Julie Andrews had a sweet smile that made you feel that love. Blunt’s character takes on that firm personality that Mary Poppins has, but, compared to Andrews, she was not as sweet and cheery.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda was pure joy to watch. His song and dance numbers(there are many) were fun, and each time I tried to convince myself that this was no “spoonful of sugar,” I lost and fell in love.
- The visuals in Mary Poppins Returns are beautiful. You will enjoy being underneath the Lovely London Sky, and feel a sense of familiarity, but not too much. It felt as if you were home, and that comfortable feeling was a relief as I sat anxiously through this film.
- There are a few dance numbers that may leave you scratching your head. (see #7)
- The movie is predictable, and that is a downfall. It is a safe, feel good movie. But do not expect to be on the edge of your seat at any point.
- Safe for all ages? That could be questionable. While there is no use of colorful language or innuendo, there is one particular dance number that could be considered not ok by some. Christie from Raising Whasians posted a spoiler-free review with a perfect description of this scene – check it out here.
- Easter Eggs – One of my favorite things to look for in movies are Easter Eggs. This movie has a few sweet, hidden (and some not-so-hidden) eggs. Be sure to pay attention to all of it!
- The Mary Poppins Returns soundtrack is amazing. As much as I did not want to, you cannot help but like the music.
- The tears – I had hoped that Mary Poppins Returns would make me cry, and cry I did. The movie is sweet and very touching. The cast did a phenomenal job with portraying the characters with such real and powerful emotion. This is definitely a feel-good movie.
While nothing will ever compare to the original, Mary Poppins Returns, overall, is a wonderful movie. It is perfect for this holiday season. Do you have your tickets yet? Be sure not to miss it!