disclosure: I received a digital code for the movie, Eternals, for the purpose of this review. All opinions are my own. No other compensation was received.
After Avengers: Endgame, Marvel fans have needed new heroes they can root for. With the promotions for Eternals, one could conclude this was the next generation of Marvel heroes to get behind. Marvel Studios’ Eternals is now available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD, with never-before-seen bonus material including four deleted scenes and a gag reel. Have you seen Eternals? We just watched it so let’s chat about this movie.
About the Movie
Just in case you haven’t seen Eternals yet:
Marvel Studios’ Eternals follows a group of ancient heroes from beyond the stars who had protected Earth since the dawn of man. When monstrous creatures called Deviants, long thought lost to history, mysteriously return, the Eternals are forced to reunite in order to defend humanity once again.
The Cast of Eternals
Eternals has an outstanding ensemble cast that includes Gemma Chan, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Lia McHugh, Brian Tyree Henry, Lauren Ridloff, Barry Keoghan, Don Lee, Kit Harington, Salma Hayek and Angelina Jolie. How could you not be excited over this line-up?
- Audio Commentary – View the film with audio commentary by Chloé Zhao, Stephane Ceretti, Mårten Larsson
- Immortalized – Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe launches into the cosmos with the Eternals. In this behind-the-scenes documentary, dive deep into the reasons why Marvel wanted to immortalize these superheroes for the MCU.
- Walks of Life – Eternals unveils Marvel’s biggest and most diverse lineup of Super Heroes in one film. Hear reactions from the cast on being involved in the film and the instant sense of camaraderie that was felt on the day they all joined each other in their costumes.
- Gag Reel – Watch some of the hilarious mishaps of the charming cast and crew.
- Deleted Scenes
- Gravity – Phastos and Jack have a conversation that leads to a breakthrough.
- Nostalgia – Sprite and Makkari reminisce about humankind while overlooking the ruins of Babylon.
- Movies – Gligamesh and Kingo connect over movies while crossing the Amazon River with the rest of the team.
- Small Talk – Sprite confronts Dane in the museum about his interactions with Sersi.
What I Thought
Goodness. I definitely have a myriad of feelings regarding this movie. Part of me really liked the idea of this movie. But I will be honest – there is a LOT to this movie. If you follow Rotten Tomatoes, this movie scored 47%, the first Marvel movie to score ‘rotten.’ I have to agree with this score, as this is a movie my family is not interested in seeing again. So many characters combined into an almost 3 hour movie that felt like a 3 hour movie is just not a great combination.
Even though this movie was 2 hours and 37 minutes long, there was not enough time to connect with the storylines presented for 11 characters. Just when you start to feel a connection, the movie jumps to something else and it’s gone. Eternals also featured lackluster visuals, compared to what we are used to.
But I would not go so far as to tell you not see this movie. I feel like this may be a part of the MCU that you should know about. It was not a prequel, as Thanos and the snap are referenced. Eternals actually covers all of time, from the beginning to present day. It is unclear if there will be a sequel.
Did you see Eternals? What did you think?
A Disney blooded, crafty, fun-lovin’ wife/mom/organizer/planner, etc who is obsessed with all things Disney 🙂 Maria grew up with the Magic Kingdom and has loved watching WDW evolve into what it is today. A firm believer in the Power of Pixie Dust, she is the owner of The Disney Driven Life – A Community for Neurotic Disney People & a d.i.y. crafty blog, Carousel of Projects – create~inspire~share.